“We are looking forward to a non-racial, just and egalitarian society in which colour, creed and race shall form no point of reference… We are of the view that we should operate as one united whole toward attainment of an egalitarian society for the whole of Azania.”
– Steve Biko
The Steve Biko Foundation is a community development organization inspired by the legacy of Bantu Stephen Biko.
The Foundation’s work aims to promote the intangible elements of development: identity, culture and values, the issues that speak to the soul of the nation.
An examination of the leading South African institutions that have contributed to shaping national discourse, highlights the void that exists in promoting these critical aspects of development.
Since its inception, the Steve Biko Foundation has sought to fill this gap; and in the coming decade will intensify its efforts to strengthen democracy by championing dialogue, scholarship and programmes on the relationship between identity, agency, citizenship and social action.
On 17th September 2018, the Steve Biko Foundation marked its 20th year anniversary. Over the past two decades the Foundation has developed remarkable convening power – bringing together people at all levels of society to dialogue on a range of issues relevant to the development agenda.
To be the premier independent promoter of the values that Steve Biko lived and died for: restoring people to their true humanity.
The mission of the Steve Biko Foundation is to:
- Create spaces for critical analysis and engagement with vital socio-economic and political issues in order to strengthen democracy;
- Foster the intangible but essential community building blocks: history, identity, culture and values, as the foundation of leadership and agency;
- Develop leadership at every level to enhance civic participation in the political, economic and cultural life of society;
- Nurture and affirm fundamental human values.
The work of the Steve Biko Foundation is informed by the following values:
- Respect for human dignity;
- Self-respect and self-determination;
- Affirmation of diversity;
- Integrity; and
- Organizational independence
The approach of the Steve Biko Foundation is to:
- Create an inclusive platform to promote the legacy of Steve Biko;
- Develop a culture of interrogative leadership; and
- Empower individuals and communities to greater self-reliance through: education, training and capacity building